Thank you for choosing GCD Advisors to prepare your federal and state income tax returns. In order to keep your processing costs reasonable and minimize your taxes and possible future communications from governmental agencies, we have created a very robust process to prepare your personal tax returns. We strongly encourage our clients to familiarize themselves with all the steps below and contact us with any questions before we begin preparing your returns.
Here is our normal timeline during tax season:
Click on any of these links to read more about the various stages of your return
1. Organizers - Sent only to clients that previously requested them. If you did not receive one, and would like one, contact the partner you work with. Note: The organizer should only be used to list items where there is no source document. Do NOT record amounts in the organizer where you are providing us a source document (i.e. W-2 or 1099). This would be unnecessary time spent and would result in extra processing time to corroborate the different amounts, resulting in extra costs to you.
2. Gather your documents - Refer to the 2 lists below of what to send and what NOT to send. Try to send all necessary documents before the end of February in one single communication.
Please read these now to save yourself time
3. After you have gathered all the documents above, complete our Personal Tax Minimizer document. Please be sure to carefully read the directions at the top of this form to save you from spending unnecessary time on this process. Do NOT write info in the organizer and the Minimizer if you are providing a source document. WE ONLY NEED TO SEE THE AMOUNT ONCE.
4. Once you have gathered ALL your documentation, and our Personal Tax Minimizer, send all your documents to GCD using one of the methods described below, listed in our order of preference.
NEW FOR THIS YEAR: There is NO limit to the amount of files or pages you can send to us electronically.
a. EMAIL, only to the partner you work with
b. UPLOAD only to the partner you work with - due to security issues, we cannot accept items sent through Dropbox, Drive, OneDrive, or any other service
c. Send by either US Mail or an overnight service to our business address.
5. Within 24 hours of GCD receiving your documents, you will be sent an email confirming receipt of your documents. If you do not get such an email, we did not receive them.
6. We then begin preparing your returns. If you find additional documents that GCD will need, email them to the partner you work with. Once your return is prepared he will email you with specific questions relative to your return. We cannot finalize your return until we receive the answers to all questions.
7. We then finalize your tax returns and email you with complete finalization instructions. We will direct you to our Secure Client Portal (SCP) where we will post the instructions, your copy of the return and your source documents.
8. You will be instructed to process only the few efile forms to send back to us. This will need to be done right away and all such forms will be available for you to view on our SCP by 9:00 am the day after you submit them. You will not have to call or email to check on these. We now offer eSigning of these efile forms. In the email you receive from us will be complete instructions for how to properly complete this process. View here for a for a simple video of this process:
If you elected NOT to use this new process, or you have troubles doing the verification process, you will still have the option to print these efile forms, sign and return them by either email or upload. Be sure to familiarize yourself with our efiling process.
9. Within 48 hours or so after we efile your returns, you will get emails from CCH, our tax software provider, that your returns were accepted by both the IRS and any state, if applicable. Do NOT forward these to GCD, since we get them directly from CCH as well.
10. Before April 15th, you must go back to the Filing Instructions file provided to you, either on our SCP or paper, to pay any amounts due with the returns and estimates taxes (if any). These can be paid by check or online.
11. The copy of your return and source documents are all located on our Secure Client Portal (SCP) and ARE NOT REQUIRED TO BE PRINTED. These files will remain there as long as you are a client, but we strongly suggest that you download copies to your home computer now.
12. Our invoice will be provided and is due upon receipt. Please use one of these 3 methods to pay.
If you ever receive correspondence from any governmental agency regarding any tax returns - whether we prepared them or not - be sure to email it to the partner you work with for an immediate assessment. Do NOT just pay any amounts indicated without having us look at these letters. Our experience shows that many notices result in no money due.
If you have any questions about this process, contact us at any time!
Thank you very much for giving GCD the opportunity to work with you and your family on such an important part of your life!